Delayed Opening Of School 

We have been informed by Warrington Borough Council this afternoon, that they have taken the decision to delay the wider opening of schools until 15th June at the earliest. This is a borough wide decision, not a school decision.

This means that sadly, Year 1 will not be able to attend school next week as planned and are likely now to return week beginning 15th June. At present, we cannot commit to that date until the situation is reassessed by the Local Authority towards the end of next week. This will also impact on future proposed dates for Nursery, Reception and Year 6. We will of course communicate confirmed details for all year groups once we know more. School will continue to remain open for vulnerable children and Key worker children only, during next week. 

The delay is disappointing, and I apologise for the timing of it, but if it has been made to protect the Health and safety of children, staff and their respective families; then it is the right decision.

 Thank you for your understanding in this matter. For your information, I have included the published communication from Warrington Borough Council below:

 The council, in close partnership with its school leaders, has today (Sunday) agreed to defer primary schools extending their opening to more pupils by one week, until Monday 15 June.

 Despite tireless work between the council and schools in the borough to prepare to welcome primary schoolchildren back to educational settings for Monday 8 June, a joint decision has this afternoon confirmed that arrangements will be put back by one week, to allow more time to consider the safe return of pupils.

This decision does not affect secondary schools, who are already planning wider reopening from Monday 15 June.

Cllr Matt Smith, Cabinet member for children’s services, said: “This isn’t a decision we’ve taken lightly, but it is a decision which balances the scientific evidence and advice with our own prudence and caution. Our decision to delay the wider reopening of our schools by a week also follows the regional consensus, with similar decisions being made by other councils and schools in the North West.

Our schools have made excellent preparations and, following their own comprehensive risk assessments, will be equipped to open their doors, safely, to more pupils when the time comes. I can say that with absolute confidence, particularly given our schools have remained open for some of our most vulnerable children, and children of key workers.

 Our decision has been a difficult one to come to, especially given we want to see more children in schools. But, ultimately, we have agreed that the decision to delay the expansion of our primary school offer by a week, to the 15th, is the correct one – in line with our evidence-led, safety-first approach.

We have had to carefully consider many different factors to come to our joint decision to delay, including the most recent information from Public Health England. This one week delay will provide us with a further opportunity to review recent scientific information, its impact, and implications locally.

We will now be notifying head teachers of all affected primary schools and will continue to work with them on their arrangements and plans for expansion, in a week’s time. We will also reconvene on Wednesday this week to review our joint position and make a further assessment.”

 With very best wishes – stay safe

 Kelly Jackson

Headteacher

Please contact us for more information regarding this event >